10 tips to get the most from your new Akubra Hat
When cared for, your Akubra Hat will provide years of protection.
- Maintain Shape: When not wearing your hat, store it upside down on its crown to keep the brim in shape.
- Gentle Handling: Avoid squeezing the front of the hat when putting it on. This prevents a sharp point from forming and will be the first place the felt will wear and result in a hole.
- Avoid Heat: Keep your hat away from extreme heat sources like vehicle dashboards or heaters. Heat can shrink the hat, especially the inner band.
- Wet Hat Care: If your hat gets wet, let it air dry naturally, upside down, with the inner leather band turned out. Avoid using heat, as it can cause the hat to shrink. Wet felt will retain its shape as it dries, so ensure the brim and crown are shaped as desired before allowing the hat to dry.
- Salt Water is Corrosive: If you wear your hat at the beach or on the water or anywhere there may be a high concentration of salt in the air, it is recommended that you give you hat a thorough wipe with a clean damp (not wet) cloth. Be sure to wipe the band and badge. You may need to do this a couple of times to ensure you have removed all the salt.
- Regular Cleaning: Brush your hat in an anti-clockwise direction with a soft bristle brush to keep it clean and dust-free. For advanced cleaning, consult a specialist.
- Reshape with Steam: Use steam (from a boiled kettle) to reshape the crown and prevent pinches and creases. Avoid steaming the inner leather band.
- Leather Care: To prolong the life of the inner leather band, use leather care products for cleaning and conditioning.
- Use a Hat Jack: A Hat Jack (also called a hat stretcher) is a great tool if you plan on storing your hat for any time or even if you just want to maintain the size.
- Storage Tip: If storing in a cupboard, add cedar wood or mothballs to prevent insect damage.
Enjoy your new Akubra Hat!